All forum discussion will take place on this page!
This event (Thurs October 14th – 3pm GMT / 8am Pacific / 11am Eastern / 5pm CET / 11pm Beijing) is set to discuss mobile payment and transfer services.
Framed against the backdrop of the current EU activities, the event will build both upon Talkstandards’ successful July event – “Transparency in EU Standardization” – and our September mini event – “The Future of European Standardisation“. The motivating goal of the event is the facilitation of a common dialogue between European policy makers and experts working in and around European standardization such as industry leaders and academics.
The European Parliament’s “Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection” (IMCO) has drafted a report on the future of European standardization which will see an EU vote in October. The report builds upon the EU Whitepaper from July 2009, “Modernising ICT Standardisation in the EU – the Way Forward” – a short summary by Talkstandards can be found here: www.talkstandards.com/modernizing-ict-standardization-in-the-eu/ – and recommends building upon the strengths of the existing European system as opposed to a complete overhaul
Some key questions to be addressed include:
• How timely are current EU reform proposals and how should the emphasis be divided among issues such as interoperability, transparency and efficiency?
• Do the proposals bestow a large enough role upon informal industry fora and consortia?
• What roles does interoperability play in achieving a single European market, particularly with regard to infra-national standardization system based upon national standards bodies with greatly varying degrees of knowledge, experience and resources?
• How can access by all relevant stakeholders, particularly SME, to the standardization process be guaranteed?
• Within European standardization reform initiatives, how much emphasis should be placed upon international integration and interoperability?
Discussion Material (MORE TO COME!):
James Bryce Clark: Interoperability within the Standards Marketplace
Ken Krechmer: Suggestions for the Future of EU Standardization
Ajit Jaokar: Standards, Fora, Innovation and Geography
Helen Disney: Creating a Modern Framework
INTERVIEW: Elena Santiago, CEN-CENELEC Director General
Event Page: Reforming EU Standardization
Past Event: The future of European Standardisation
Past Event: Transparency in EU Standardization
Join the discussion and post your comments below!
Mattias Ganslandt, Editor
Image from Wikimedia Commons by user Aktron